Get in touch with us
Get in Touch
021 551 4815
Electrical CoC


Beetle CoC


Plumbing CoC


Gas CoC


Certificates of Compliance

Download our seller's guide to certificates of compliance



inspection CoC



Coming soon!

Request an inspection

Electrical CoC

Electrical CoC

Why is an Electrical Certificate of Compliance required when selling a property?

In terms of Regulation 7(5) of the Electrical Installation Regulations (OHS ACT of 1993), a change of ownership cannot take place unless there is a valid Electrical Certificate of Compliance.

  • How long is an Electrical Certificate of Compliance valid?

    For the purpose of transfer of ownership, an Electrical Certificate of Compliance older than 2 years may not be used. If any electrical work was done after the certificate was issued, a new Electrical Certificate of Compliance will be required.

  • What does the Electrical Certificate of Compliance cover?

    The Electrical Certificate of Compliance covers:

    • The main distribution board and any sub-distribution boards
    • Socket outlets and light switches
    • Wiring – is it in a safe condition and compatible with the circuit breakers in the distribution board
    • Isolators – have isolators been installed for fixed appliances such as stoves, hot water cylinders (HWC’s), gate and door motors, fans etc.
    • Earthing – all metal parts of the installation need to be earthed.
    • Bonding – HWC pipes, TV antennae and satellite dishes etc.
  • What does the Electrical Certificate of Compliance not cover?

    Electrical Certificate of Compliance does not cover fixed appliances such as:

    • Geysers & Stoves
    • Motors & Fans
    • Under floor heating
    • Pool motors

    Please note: The wiring to fixed appliances is covered by the Certificate of Compliance.

  • Helpful hints to save you costs
    • The best advice we can give is to have the inspection done early, before a potential buyer is introduced to the property. This may help you to make decisions that will reduce the costs of repairing any defects.
    • Garden lights – the wiring to garden lighting is often done incorrectly and can be costly to rectify. These can be removed rather than re-instated.
    • Extension leads – temporary leads are often installed for the owner’s benefit and can easily be removed.
    • Additional exterior lighting – these are often non-compliant and can be removed rather than re-instated.
    • TV antennae – may no longer be in use – remove. If the seller leaves it as a fixture it will need to be bonded.
    • Decorative water features and ponds – as fixed appliances, these items require isolators. This is seldom done correctly and can be costly. The electrical supply to these features can be removed to save costs.
    • Electrical installations to wendy houses – are often done illegally. Removing the supply can reduce the costs.
    • Light bulbs – are consumables and are not covered by the Certificate of Compliance. However, it is good practice to ensure that all fused light bulbs are replaced before the inspection is done. This will reduce wastage of time during the inspection process.
beetle CoC

Beetle CoC

Is a beetle certificate of clearance required by law?

No, there is no law that obligates a seller to provide a Beetle Free Certificate.

  • Then why are properties being inspected for beetle when they are sold?

    From the 1940’s to 1960’s wood destroying insects were infesting properties on an epidemic scale. In some instances, the infestations were so severe that roof structures were on the verge of collapse.

    Many building societies, which were then the main sources of bond finance, would not advance money to a buyer unless the property to be mortgaged was declared free of wood-destroying insects. And so the need was established for suitably qualified people to carry out inspections and where infestation was identified, recommend remedial measures to eradicate such infestation. This requirement was written into the Offer to Purchase and it became the seller’s obligation to provide the Beetle Free Certificate.

  • Is beetle infestation still a problem?

    The practice of inspecting and treating beetle infestation when properties are sold, along with the extensive use of pre-treated timber in newer properties, has gone a long way to reducing the incidence of beetle infestation.

  • Why are beetle inspections still being done if the problem is under control?

    We will never fully eradicate wood destroying insects. Vigilance from homeowners and the continual practice of inspecting properties that have been sold will ensure the problem is managed so as not to return to the epidemic proportions of the 1960’s.

  • What is the recommended “Beetle Clause” for the Deed of Sale

    The seller shall arrange at his/her expense to have the accessible timbers on the property inspected by a qualified wood borer inspector who is a member of the South African Pest Control Association (S.A.P.C.A), for infestation by wood destroying insects and for the replacement and/or treatment of any timbers found to be infested, in accordance with the recommendations specified by the inspector.

plumbing CoC

Water Installation CoC

Why is a Water Installation Certificate of Compliance required when selling a property?

The City of Cape Town Water by-law 2010 – section 14(1), stipulates that before a property can be transferred, a Certificate of Compliance for the water installation needs to be issued. This came into effect on the 1 March 2011. It is a local by-law and only applies to properties sold where the City of Cape Town is the municipal authority.

A new Certificate of Compliance needs to be issued each time a property is transferred.

  • Does the Water Installation Certificate of Compliance cover all of the plumbing?

    No, the Water Installation Certificate of Compliance IS NOT a plumbing certificate. It is limited to the by-law and is not as comprehensive as a plumbing certificate.

    The table below highlights some of the differences between the Water installation certificate and a plumbing certificate of compliance.

    Obtainable from City of Cape Town Website Obtainable from the Plumbing Industry Registration Board
    Requires compliance with the City of Cape Town By-Law 2010. Only hot water cylinders newer than Sept 2006 need to comply with Sans regulations The entire installation needs to comply with the regulations – Sans 10252 and Sans 10254
    Excludes waste water, waste traps, drip trays (for hot water cylinders pre 2006) Includes waste water – Waste traps sewerage, drip trays etc.
    Only includes damaged components if they result in a loss of potable water Includes faulty plumbing components – cracked basins, toilet pans, waste traps
    Does not cover leaks on waste / sewer water Covers leaks from waste water as well
    Does not cover drainage, with the exception of storm water discharging into the sewer Includes blocked or damaged drains
  • What does the Water Installation Certificate of Compliance cover?

    The parts of the installation that are covered are listed on the Certificate as follows:

    • The Hot Water Cylinder installation complies with SANS 10252 and SANS 1025 (only for installations post September 2006).
    • The water meter registers when water is used and stops completely when no water is drawn. If there is then movement on the meter, this indicates a leak (i.e. loss of fresh potable water).
    • None of the terminal water fittings leak and they are correctly fixed in position.
    • No storm water is discharged into the sewerage system.
    • There is no cross connection between the potable water supply and any grey or ground water (e.g. a borehole / well-point).
    • The water pipes in the installation are properly saddled.
  • The buyer’s expectation

    Some buyers will assume that this Certificate of Compliance addresses all plumbing defects – especially buyers from other regions who are not familiar with the City of Cape Town By-Law.

    However, our mandate is to inspect to the required standards only. This is to ensure compliance with the by-law, while incurring the minimal cost to the seller.

gas CoC


Why is a Gas Certificate of Compliance required when selling a property?

In terms of Regulation 17(3) of the Pressure Equipment Regulations (OHS ACT of 1993), a Gas Certificate of Compliance must be issued when there is a change of ownership. This came into effect on the 1st October 2009.

  • What does the Gas Certificate of Compliance cover?

    The Gas Certificate of Compliance certifies that:

    • There are no gas leaks
    • Emergency shut off valves have been installed in the correct positions
    • The gas piping, regulator and valves and gas appliance are in a safe working condition and not corroded.

    For gas cylinder/s installed on the exterior of a property:

    • Are at least 1 metre away from an airbrick, a door or a window.
    • Are at least 2 metres away from a drain.
    • Are at least 5 metres away from an electrical source of ignition, e.g. a motor, air-conditioner, distribution board etc.
    • Do not exceed the maximum volume of gas allowed on a property, which is 38kg for the City of Cape Town.

    For a gas cylinder installed in the interior of a property (usually inside a cupboard):

    • Is not situated directly below the hob.
    • That the cupboard is vented to prevent the accumulation of gas.
    • There are no electrical switches directly below the hob, or in the compartment where the cylinder is positioned.
    • There are no electrical switches within 200mm of the hob.
  • Potential stumbling blocks

    There are restrictions relating to the volume of gas that may be stored on a property:

    • In an apartment above ground floor, the maximum volume of gas allowed is 9 kg. This is of particular concern where there is a gas fireplace. A gas fireplace requires a minimum of 19 kg in order to operate. Therefore, reducing the size of the cylinder to 9 kg is not an option. The only course of action is to decommission the fireplace. It is important that all parties are aware of this when signing an offer to purchase.
    • In a freestanding property, the maximum volume of gas allowed is 38kg, unless there are plans approved by the Fire Department and Town Planning. If the seller has a copy of these plans, they must be handed to the gas inspector. This will prevent delays. If there are no approved plans, the volume of gas stored on the property must be reduced to a maximum of 38kg.
  • Helpful hints to save you costs

    We recommend having the inspection done before a potential buyer is introduced to the property. This will enable the seller to make cost saving decisions timeously.

    Should you require further advice, you can contact Tyron at our offices.

About Inspecto

About Us


  • Founded in 1995.
  • Members of ECA (Electrical Contractors Association) and SAPCA (South African Pest Control Association).
  • Qualified and registered electricians, plumbers wood borer inspectors.
  • Experienced office staff who understand the importance of getting the required certificates to you on time.
  • Longstanding relationships with all sectors of the property market (Conveyancing attorneys, Estate agents, Bodies corporate).
  • Our business philosophy is based on open and honest dealings with our clients and staff, inspecting to the required standards and fair pricing.

Some of our satisfied customers

I just wanted to say that Lazarus and George and your team have been here for the last three days. They have been the most efficient, polite, and diligent team of workers I have yet experienced in Cape Town. They are a testament to your business. Thank you.

- Mr Disler, Clifton
inspection CoC

Contact us

Get in touch with us!

Office no: 021 551 4185
Fax no: 021 551 9925

Enquiring about an inspection:

Maria – 082 494 5922 /
Shelley – 079 296 6878 /

Enquiring about repairs:

Richard – 076 156 5353 /

Technical advice:

Tyron – 082 442 5372 /

Request an inspection